Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What Not to Name Your Child

A New Jersey couple is upset that their son's name, Adolf Hitler Campbell, wouldn't be spelled out on his third birthday cake. How about not naming your son after a murderous dictator?

I am intolerant of intolerance. Oxymoron, I know. But seriously, who names their child Adolf Hitler? I found this article on my morning perusal of msnbc.com (the story is courtesy of AP)... it must be a slow news day. The headline reads "3-year-old Hitler can't get name on cake." While portraying the Campbell family as accepting of all races, you can tell there is tension between Heath Campbell and his conflicting message. The author wants you read the whole piece because it finally rationalizes the parents' name choice at the end...

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.


Hello! Someone already had that name, and it didn't end too well for him. By the way, they did end up getting little Adolf's name on a cake... thanks to Wal-Mart. Let's hope this tyke grows up with a little more perspective on life than his parents did. Why couldn't they name him something normal, like Robot Blanket Campbell? Or Apple Bronx Campbell?

More to come from me on my latest endeavors into Judaism... I realize it has been a while since I've posted. Hey, will you be at the Zeda's Beat Box CD release party on Friday? I'll see you there, St. Louis.

LC

3 comments:

!JustDance said...

Uncle Adolf...nice ring to it, no?

This is sad stuff.

Maz'minim Etchem La-Zuz!

Zuz said...

So when I first started reading this I thought, ok, maybe they're trying to prove a point that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, name isn't everything, you know?

But nope, as I read on, just your average run of the mill, I'm going to name my child after the Fuhrer and pretend its not a big deal racist!

Daniel Stroud said...

While one could argue Adolf was a family name (though probably not someone with a last name as scottish as Campbell), what really drove home the point that this was a guy a touch off was that his other two kids are named JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Heinrich Himmler Campbell. Then another news article had to go off and describe the house as being adorned with swastikas and other paraphernalia. Oh yeah, and papa Heath seems to think he's related to a former member of the SS.
Charming people really.